Highlights from WWDC 2009 Keynote:
iPhone OS 3.0 available worldwide June 17th
My weapon of choice this year for the Keynote stream was http://www.macrumorslive.com. They have a good stream text feed, and an even better streaming pictures feed. The pictures updated more often than the text, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they caught every slide… I also listened to the audio stream at http://live.twit.tv.
Without further ado:
- Same external design, all new internals
- Faster than the 3G. 2.1x faster loading of messaging, 2.4x faster sim city load, 3.6x faster for viewing an excel attachment , 2.9x faster for loading the NYTimes app.
- Brand new Camera: 3 MP, autofocus camera. Also captures video (finally). 30 fps. 640×480 video. You can scrub and edit video and send it straight to YouTube, MMS, email, and MobileMe too. These features are also available for developers to use in their applications.
- Voice dialing
- Digital Compass
- support for Nike+
- Better battery life: 30 hours of music playback, 10 hours of video playback, 12 hours of 2g talk, 5 hours of 3g talk time.
- $199 is the price for the 16Gb. 32Gb $299. Black and white colors. 3G is still available for $99 dollars!!
- 3GS iPhone is available June 19th.
iPhone OS updates:
- there are 100 new features… Cut/copy/paste/undo (works across all apps), landscape mode in Mail/Notes/Messages, MMS support (send and receive photos/contacts/audio files/locations) in Messages app (29 carriers in 76 countries will support MMS at launch — AT&T not until later this summer), search (mail — even on server, calendars, media, notes), spotlight (search everything in one place — first page of the home screen).
- rent and purchase movies from your iPhone!
- Parental Controls
- Tethering: Share iPhone’s internet connection with your computer (but I’m sure it’s going to be expensive…) Works wired and wireless over bluetooth. Seemless experience. BUT AT&T DOESN’T SUPPORT IT!! GARBAGE!
- Inclusion of right to left languages and others. Now support more than 30 languages in the iPhone OS. One of the big advantages of a software keyboard. They all have portrait and landscape mode keyboards.
- FindMyiPhone. MobileMe users will be able to log in to MobileMe and find their phone if they lose it! GPS location and everything! It’s crazy. Tons of awesomeness there. You can play an alert sound from the webpage, and even wipe the data from your phone so that people can’t see the info you’ve got on it. Then when you find it you can just restore the phone from a backup.
- Peer to peer connectivity over bluetooth! Available in any application!
- Turn by turn directions and google maps can be integrated into any application.
- Push notification
Updated Laptops: MacBook Pro spec update and the starting price dropped $300. They also added a 13″ MacBook Pro.
Expose has been updated (the dock at the bottom of the screen): The functionality is more like Windows 7. You can click and hold an icon in the dock and Expose will show all of the app’s windows. The same works for dragging things into an application – you can drag items to the dock, have the app’s windows pop up, and the drop it into the correct window.
Exchange 2007 (latest version) is now supported in Mail, iCal, and Address Book! This is big for all the Mac users that work in large corporate environments that use Exchange. You can even see previews of Microsoft Office documents if you don’t have Office installed.