I dropped my iPhone -> best iPhone case

dsc01216 dsc01219

picture-5 picture-6

I dropped my iPhone a couple days ago.  I was walking to my car, pulled out my iPhone, and… crap.  It’s got a scratch.  Wait… no… it’s got a crack!  Dang.

Just a few days ago one of my coworkers was admiring how shiny the back of my iPhone was.  Barely any scratches – it has an exclusive suite in my left front pocket.

It was bound to happen.  Things only stay shiny for so long.

I found consolation from the fact that I had just found an iPhone case that I really liked.  Over the past year and a half I’ve seen lots of ugly iPhone cases.  I was never a fan.  I didn’t understand why people would pay 200-400 dollars on a phone, and then cover it up with an ugly case.  Part of the reason the iPhone is so expensive is the external design.  It’s equivalent to putting bumper stickers on a Ferrari or keeping the plastic wrap on your furniture.  Part of the reason you paid so much for the thing is so you could enjoy it.

A case isn’t worthy of covering the iPhone – until the iPhone has been scratched or cracked.

Luckily I had just come across Incase’s hard-case.  And I love it.  It fits the iPhone 3G like a glove, and it isn’t bulky and annoying like so many other cases.  It feels like it offers some study protection from small drops, though now that I’ve got such a nice case, I’m kind of worried about it getting scratched too.  It even looks good and feels soft with its matte black finish.  The only thing that I don’t like about it is the small blemishes from manufacturing that you probably can’t avoid.

I give it a 9/10.

I’m starting to become a big fan of Incase products.  A while back I bought the Incase sleeve for my 13″ Unibody MacBook and I love that as well.  Way to go Incase!

This entry was posted in apple, iPhone, review and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

9 Comments

1. Posted April 2, 2009 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

I want this case.. Currently I am using the Capsule Rebel from Switcheasy, nice case! I have dropped it only on the carpet and I dont even worry about it.. Completely protected from small drops.. It is thicker though so Id like to try this

2. Kodack
    Posted April 28, 2009 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

If anyone wants a beast of an iphone case, try otterbox defender! I dropped my iphone off a 15 foot balcony, tried to catch it but missed and only made it pummel faster towards a concrete sidewalk. I was amazed when I got to where my phone laid to discover that there was no damage to the phone and everything worked fine! The case makes the phone a bit bulky, however for the level of protection it offers, i can handle that. Otterbox is, i believe that safely say, the best case for the money that is on the market today. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants complete protection and is willing to put up with a little bit of bulk. It fits nicely in your hand and all controls can be used through the case. There is a polycarbonate skeleton around the entire phone, poly sheet over the screen, and then to top it all off a rubber silicone covering to seal the deal. There is no lag in screen response through the screen cover. the website is http://www.otterbox.com, but if you want a better price, try ebay. ($50 bucks compared to $35)

3. Mitchell Havens
    Posted May 4, 2009 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

dam,I just drop my iphone an the screen went out, now when i hit the buttin at the bottom it lights up an u see nothing but a light

4. Posted May 4, 2009 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Sorry to hear that! I’m willing to bet that if there’s no visible screen damage that one of the cables on the inside of the iPhone just got detached. You can probably take it apart and fix it still.

5. Mitchell Havens
    Posted May 4, 2009 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Sorry bout that, anyways it had a rubber case on it an never been drop or anything,now i cant do nothing with it but answer it an thats only cause i no were the slide is to answer it,now i just got an app: at the apple store an hope they can do something cause i be dam if im going to pay $250 to get a new one . Anyone can help!!!!

6. Mitchell Havens
    Posted May 4, 2009 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Let me see what they can do tomorrow at the apple store if nothing then i will go inside,call me crazy but its my baby <an my wife going to kill me.she told me not to get it i would have it broke. (have u ever took one apart)

7. Posted May 4, 2009 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

I’ve taken the original iPhone apart before, but never the 3G one. I actually took 2 of them apart and rebuilt one for a coworker. If the apple store won’t do it for you I would say try to do it yourself. You should be able to find some tutorials online.

8. Posted May 4, 2009 at 8:45 pm | Permalink