As Google is getting started with introducing it’s first phone to the market, the G1, I’m thinking that it’s about time I get to taking a look at the Android SDK. I know, I know – I’m late. Anyway, I got a chance to do just that today. Real quick, here are my first thoughts:
I was able to get it up and running in about an hour (including the download time for all required software). Better yet, I was able to get this running on my Vista machine (I didn’t need a Mac!), and it can also be easily set up on some flavors of Linux. The instructions to get things started was rather simple. I just followed what I found on Google’s Android site. I’m using Eclipse with the Android Plugin, which seems to work great. The emulator for the phone is also functional and looks polished.
All I’ve really done is inspected the SDK and elaborated on the “Hello, Android” application that Google walks you through. What’s great about it is the fact that it was so easy to get up and running, and it uses a language that I’m more familiar with (Java as compared to say… Objective C 2.0 ;). I think that language familiarity alone will steer more people towards Android over the iPhone. Heck, I remember programming Java in highschool…
More to come as I start diving into the SDK.